Planning for a home renovation? A huge decision must say! Whether your home renovation project has been something you’ve dreamed of doing for many years or an expeditious decision, your renovation will go a lot more smoothly if you take ample time for planning it correctly. If you’re assuming home renovation as an exciting home project, your wallet might face certain workout in here.
As the idea of renovation can be tough on your pockets, you’re probably keen for some Do-It-Yourself work and are willing to save in manual labour as much as you can. While it can be a great way, abiding by the legal requirements and safety should still be your core precedence. There are many DIYs that are easy to perform by homeowners, whereas, electrical work is best left for the professional electrician Sydney. Here are the guiding tips on some of the essential electrical safety tips for a thriving and assured home renovation project.
What you can do, how you can do it, and how you should manoeuvre are certainly important questions for performing the project ahead.
DIY Safety tips:
The need and use of electricity are something which plays an important role in our daily lives. Indeed! When we relish its gains we face no hazards or problems, but performing an electrical installation is completely a differ story.
According to the current Australian Standard 3000:2007 “Electrical installations or Australian Wiring Rules”, all electrical work including the local electrical contractor must meet or surpass these stated standards. It simply means that a certified electrician must be acknowledged with these standards for preventing the dangerous and illicit installation. Still, there are certain eligibility criteria for homeowners to perform. They are:
- Establishing pond pumps.
- Installing garden lights.
- Setting up self-contained solar lights.
- Fixing an electrical wall oven in a kitchen, strictly avoid connecting it!
- Installing battery maneuver smoke detectors.
- Inspect and modify the old style fuses – Take the help of electrician Sydney for replacing the old ones with new style fuses.
- Cut openings for portable air – conditioners, the need of an accredited electrician is a must!
- Supplant a washing machine’s drive belt.
- Replacing light bulbs – make sure to use accurately rated globes for your fixture, otherwise if exceeded the rating, it might be a reason for melting and potential cause of fire!
Now the Question is what should be Left for the certified Electricians?
As electrical work is to a great extent controlled by the government, most of the jobs and installations need to be carried out by certified and professional electricians (regardless of whether they are industrial, commercial or residential). An electrical job is stated by law as the testing, installing, manufacturing, altering, maintaining, repairing, removing, or subbing any of electrical equipment.
So, if any of the above-mentioned criteria is identified in your case as well, you exactly know what you need to do, the need for an electrician is indeed!
If you’re thinking that nothing will go wrong after installing new electrical wiring, appliances or equipments. In generic, it might not the case! There are possibilities for any problem or emergency after the constant use the device. This leads us to know that simply overheating of wires can also be the cause to fire. This makes it relevant to perfect installation of electrical appliances in our home.
And when it’s essential for insurance related purposes, work of a certified electrician can be used in case when anything goes fallacious. To overcome an emergent situation, take the help of 24 hour emergency electrician Sydney.
Only considering the emergent situation is not important, overall inspection is a must! While supervising your home renovation project, there are certain rooms which needs more focus. Rooms with the use of water as well electricity are the most important ones. Kitchens, outdoor spaces including the swimming and spa areas and the bathrooms are the rooms should be kept under proper surveillance. The electrical devices installed in these areas are indubitably important to inspect for making them function safely.
Installation of electrical equipment is something best left for a certified electrician. Unless you’re qualified enough for further, things you shouldn’t perform:
- Changing a plug at the end of a lead.
- Fix or falsify the location of power point.
- Draw a power board or an extension cord.
- Exchange a light switch.
- Replace a battery holder with new light fixtures.
- Reinstalling light fixtures with a ceiling fan.
Word to Wise:
Whether you’re ready with the renovation process, or work-in-process, or have already finished the task and are all set up again for your daily life, certain things should always strike up your mind when handling any electrical appliance, equip or wires.
In generic, here are certain safety tips to consider while performing the same:
- Try to keep the leads as straight as possible and also out of your way, for better precautionary tips. As it has many flaws, not only could end up with a nasty fall, but result in damaging the lead as well.
- Power board in Australia is generally safe as long as you don’t overcharge them by piggybacking double adaptors. In fact they have a safety switch that simply turns off power if observed overcharged or overused. Double adapters do not comprise of this feature and could be hazard withal.
Lastly, acquaint yourself with the fuse box for your home. Sometimes, when your house is using more power than its capacity to handle, it will shut down the power supply. This doesn’t mean there’s fault in the electrical channel, so before calling an electrician, make sure to check the fuse box for observing any switches are down. If that’s the case, simply pull the switches up to reinstate the power!